Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Early Morning Caller


After three weeks of waiting, wondering, and worrying, the call finally came.

It was 8:00AM on a Saturday morning, the second weekend in September 2007. I was sound asleep, the dogs miraculously having refrained from awakening me at six as they do every other morning of my life. The rings were incorporated into my dream and I only fully realized it was the phone as the noise stopped. I checked the number. It was a 518 number, the area code I expected my birth mother would call from, and it was not a number I was familiar with.

There was no message.

I woke up Eric. Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my GOD! This has to be her, what should I do? I was torn between hitting the call return button and waiting for her to call me again.

Call her back! She's opened the door by calling you first. Only a couple of minutes have passed so if this was a good time for her when she phoned, it's probably still a good time for her to talk. Eric can always be depended on for rational and reasonable advice.

I picked up the phone and pushed the call return. Her phone was ringing in her house on the other end of the line and I was shaking holding the phone in my bed.

Hello?

No comments:

Post a Comment